The foundational belief of Zero Suicide is that suicide deaths for individuals under care within health and behavioral health systems are preventable. Healthcare systems that have adopted this approach have seen a 65-75 percent reduction in their suicide rate. A quality improvement and patient safety initiative, Zero Suicide is an aspirational, though transformational, goal for a healthcare system to adopt. This bundled approach includes the following components:
- Lead: Create a leadership-driven, safety-oriented culture committed to dramatically reducing suicide death among people under care. Include survivors of suicide attempts and suicide loss in leadership and planning roles.
- Identify: Systematically identify and assess suicide risk among people receiving care.
- Engage: Ensure that every individual has a pathway to care that is both timely and adequate to meet his or her needs. Include collaborative safety planning and restriction of lethal means during suicidal crises.
- Treat: Use effective, evidence-based treatments that directly target suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
- Transition: Provide continuous contact and support, especially after acute care.
- Train: Develop a competent, confident, and caring workforce.
- Improve: Apply a data-driven quality improvement approach to inform system changes that will lead to improved patient outcomes and better care for those at risk.
Webinar participants should be able to:
- State the essential elements of a bundled approach to effective suicide care.
- Describe results of adopting a comprehensive approach to suicide care in healthcare systems.
- Understand how to access the available supports for implementation.
Delivery and Use:
Recordings are available for delivery two business days after the webinar date listed. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the link(s) to your purchased recording(s), the PowerPoint slides, and any handouts from the webinar attached. This is a web-based product, not a CD or a downloadable file. Purchased webinar recordings are available for review until the end of the calendar year.
There is no limit on the number of staff who can view the purchased recording(s), but it is restricted for internal use only and the file or links may not be passed onto anyone outside your organization.