The blueprint was created by Independence Care System (ICS), a community-based, nonprofit, Medicaid managed, long-term care agency serving the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. ICS is dedicated to supporting senior adults and adults with physical disabilities and chronic conditions to live at home and participate fully in community life.
The goal of this document is to begin to help reverse the widespread and devastating health consequences people with physical disabilities face because they cannot get access to primary care. This blueprint can be used as a guide for making practical changes that will help increase accessibility. It answers questions such as What are the most important things to do to make your facility accessible? and What is needed for staff to provide disability-competent clinical care?
Webinar participants should be able to:
- Define the most prevalent barriers to care for adults with physical disabilities and potential consequences.
- Identify the five critical elements of providing disability-competent primary care.
- Utilize a functional assessment to determine a patient’s special needs and how much staffing, equipment, space, and time are required to meet those needs.
- Understand the need to develop disability sensitivity and awareness training.
- Discuss the steps needed to promote both foundational and advanced clinical expertise of providers.
- Verbalize how a disability-competent model of primary care for adults with physical disabilities empowers patients to take the lead in decision making.
Delivery and Use:
Recordings are available for delivery two business days after the webinar date listed. You will receive an email from email@example.com with the link(s) to your purchased recording(s), the PowerPoint slides, and any handouts from the webinar attached. This is a web-based product, not a CD or a downloadable file. Purchased webinar recordings are available for review until the end of the calendar year.
There is no limit on the number of staff who can view the purchased recording(s), but it is restricted for internal use only and the file or links may not be passed onto anyone outside your organization.